Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Virgin Annunciate Spinning


ART HISTORY

I love art -- the objects themselves, the research, the environment of museums, storerooms, libraries and archives.
My personal interests and research forte happen to be
LATE ANTIQUE ART & Architecture
Basically, art that dates to the 3rd - 7th centuries - with some exceptions on either end of the spectrum: Late Roman art, Early Christian art, Byzantine art, and art of the early Medieval West.
Simply put, really old things get me pretty excited.

I am lucky to have excellent mentors and advisors who are not only brilliant,
but also great editors and motivators.
My PhD dissertation -- or Thesis, as they say in the UK -- focuses on late antique
images of the
Virgin Annunciate Spinning.
For an example, see the image above, a small ivory pyxis jar.
This object would have been used to hold ointment, make-up or perfume
and was probably owned by a woman.
I adore these domestic kinds of objects the most
because they are tangible evidence that home, family and spiritual iconography
were important to women during this period.
I could write you a book on my argument
and the precedents for it -- oh, yeah that is exactly what I am doing.
BUT, you'll have to wait for the end of the year for the published thesis.
My point is, this blog is not going to lay out every part of my research, but instead document my experience.

Being a mom during this whole process is actually a balancing element in my life.
I know I only have so many hours that are uninterrupted in a day.
Plus, I LOVE being with my children -- really BEING there with them.
So, while they know that what I do is important to me,
They also know that they are more important!
My very supportive husband also plays a MAJOR role in my success on the home-front.

As for style:
Many days I sit at my computer in my fab RL velour pants and a comfy t-shirt.
BUT, I also love to wear my "professional"
OXFORD CHIC

Favorites this week:
A Great Navy Blue Blazer -- use it with trousers or a great skirt, it is super versatile and SMART!
Today's Writing Goal:
Discuss Phrygian Tombstones and Epitaphs in relation to spinning iconography!

No comments:

Post a Comment