Saturday, February 26, 2011

Trade Secrets!

For me, 60% of the writing process is organizing my research material and honing my reading notes.  The remaining 40% is made up of the "mental stretch" required to tie my conclusions together and psych myself into believing that I can actually eat this elephant one bite at a time! 

Due to unfortunate experience, I can tell you that procrastination never produces the best results.  The closer I am to a writing deadline, the more anxious I become and, sad to say, the more difficult I am to live with.  

I don't want Chapter 5 to sow seeds of resentment in my heart or the hearts of those I love!  
RESOLVED:
  • I will follow my simple chapter outline and write about a single topic per day -- or maybe over a few days. 
  • I will work on my chapter for two hours per day (x 6 days/week) in a consistent and diligent manner.  This beats 30-35 hours during the week before deadline.
  • I will pass along my "work in progress" for others to review before I send it to my advisor.  (Particularly difficult thing for me to do!)
  • I will not allow myself to become an ascetic hermit during the last week prior to deadline (Beg. of April), nor will I need to because I will be confident in what I have produced.
OK, I think I sound more OCD than I actually am . . . 

All neuroses aside, I will let you in on a couple little writing secrets that ALWAYS vanquish writer's block:
1. If you are bored with your writing or just generally so bored that you don't even want to think about writing -- do it anyway, just for 15 minutes.
2. Go somewhere else to write.  If the kitchen table or your desk aren't to your liking - go somewhere else, anywhere else.  (The public library, the study of a friend or relative, the park, a local internet cafe or bookstore).
3. Make sure you are comfortable -- I personally love socks and feel rather clever when I am wearing a pair of fun argyles or my luxe favs - cashmere (ok, cashmere blend).
4. Have a snack -- low blood sugar is never good for generating genius ideas!  
Note to self who loves to snack while writing: yes, celery and peanut butter is just as lovely as chocolate chip cookies!



No comments:

Post a Comment