Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pull Out the Red Pencil



If you want to be a good writer, you need an great editor!  Or editors!
Sharing my pages has always been an intimidating experience because I am met with these dilemmas:
1.  My subject matter is not always an easy read and my topic is somewhat specialized, thus the need for an informed reader.  
2.  As hard as I try to be concise and maintain clarity and meaning when I write, I am still prone to "wordiness" and need an objective thinker to help hone my verbiage without losing my authentic voice.
3.  The best editor is an honest editor -- someone who can help cull the masterpiece from the study sketches.  This process requires a not only a creative thinker, but a patient one as well.
4.  I don't want to bore anyone or waste their time!  So, sometimes I hesitate to ask . . . go ahead, ask anyway!  If I think what I am writing is interesting, chances are others will too.
5.  TRUST!  I have to fight my personal fears of inadequacy.  I acknowledge that what I am writing is imperfect, thus the need for an editor in the first place.  
Nevertheless, I am willing to share my work, and I am fortunate enough to have peers and mentors to share it with!
I am very lucky to have an excellent PhD panel with a great supervisor and advisors.  Additionally, I am happy to count as friends some very talented wordsmiths who ALSO know more than I do about late antiquity AND are willing to help me excavate the best results from my writing.  
To each of you, I say THANK YOU!  Your efforts on my behalf are not only benevolent, they are REAL EFFORTS for which I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment