Monday, April 4, 2011

(W)Holy Householding - a few thoughts from 3:30pm to 3:55pm





Householding . . . holding a house together in every sense of the word is tough stuff.  Chasing three kids around to soccer games, swim team practice, piano lessons, math tutor sessions and playtime with friends and cousins keeps me watching the clock.  Plus, then the five year old feeds himself and the dog chocolate ice cream for lunch.  Why am I always behind with the dishes?  And, don't talk to me about laundry - I think I could love laundry, if I didn't hate it so much.  Remember to pay the cell phone bill as they have already left two messages and that darned $39 fee to reinstate really stinks.  CHECK!
Love the idealized clean entry way in "Traditional Home" mag - at least I paid attention to the cover - too bad that as I type this there are snow boots, someone's undies, 37 pairs of shoes, a naked barbie and overdue library books cluttering my tiny entryway.  WELCOME to my house!  OK, don't forget to renew books - I have this thing with library books (love to check them out, hate to return them) I know - completely crazy possessive over books.  
Oh poop, it's 3:40pm and I haven't even thought about what's for dinner -- must pull out trusty panini maker!  Send 3 vital emails re: my church calling.  Call to organize fireside evening for combined two wards - don't forget to order mint brownies for refreshments.  
Edit 14 pages of latest chapter, enough for today!  Will have complete by Thursday, not today as originally planned, but hey, my 84 year old grandmother is in town and I don't know how many more days I will have with her.  Oh, thank you Mr. Mailman, you did bring me Toby Stephens in Jane Eyre via Netflix today!  Maybe I will put that in the ol' DVD player tonight when the kids are in bed - no guilt if I promise to switch the laundry at least twice, right?  Note to self - make children do at least two chores today, they are old enough to help.  Double poop - put away all winter clothes on Saturday when it was a balmy 69 degrees, now only have summer clothes to wait out the inevitable April snow storms that dumped 4 inches on my budding daffodils Saturday night.  Gotta run . . . carpool is calling.
Resolved: Tomorrow my son will not watch more than one hour of PBSKids.  And, will not eat ice cream for lunch.  
How do we hold it all together??? Lots of love, patience and no expectations of perfection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment